Sunday, August 12, 2012

Spaghetti Squash & Sweet Potato Muffins (Whole 30 Day 12)

No, I have not abandoned all my Whole30 and Paleo ways to dive into the sea of wheat...
As promised I will start to include more of my favorite recipes and tonight I have two! The greater part of my Sunday was spent grocery shopping, prepping food, cooking food, baking food... you get the point. I'm not complaining, a day in the kitchen is a day well spent.

First up was my phenomenal dinner. If you are someone who craves "comfort foods" from your past non-paleo days then spaghetti squash is where it's at! If I had known about this magical vegetable my entire life I could very well have never eaten pasta. It is the perfect vessel for all those delicious sauces, meats, and spices but none of the yucky wheat!

I snagged this recipe from my new favorite blog TGIPaleo and it was WELL worth the time it took. The spices and veggies mixed perfectly together to create an amazing combination, and don't be alarmed by the jalepenos if you aren't a spicy person, they only add a little kick! (I threw out most of the jalepeno seeds though so I could have made it even spicier)

The greatest part of all is all the leftovers! I am set for dinners this week.



Now as much as I love eggs (& bacon), some mornings just don't allow for a extra 15 minutes in the kitchen. I had been looking for awhile for something I could batch cook ahead of time similar to breakfast "grab-n-go pastries" but of course paleo approved and even harder Whole30 approved (practically everything has honey or agave in it! I'll save those for after August!)

So TGIPaleo came to my rescue again! These sweet potato muffins may seem a little random but they work out, I PROMISE! Also, paleo baking is not the same as normal baking, batter is so not better raw. blech.


INGREDIENTS
Recipe from TGIPaleo

1/2 c Coconut Flour
6 Eggs
2 t Vanilla
1 t Salt
1 t Baking Soda
2 t Cinnamon
1/2 c Ground Flax
2 Sweet Potatoes or Yams, baked and mashed (discard skins)
1 c Raisins or Chocolate Chips (optional)... I recommend raisins!!


INSTRUCTIONS

Whisk together all the dry ingredients. Beat the eggs and add dry mix by spoonfuls until well blended. Add the mashed sweet potatoes.

Spoon batter into lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!

**Editors Note: Please make sure you refrigerate these muffins if keeping longer than a day!








Maybe I will hop out of bed a little faster knowing these are waiting for me? No, probably not. 


Day 12 Recap:

Meal 1:
Banana bread larabar

Meal 2:
Eggs, bacon, avocado and pineapple

Meal 3:
Spaghetti squash and garlic jalepeno meatballs

Snack:
A few almonds and raisins
Sweet Potato Muffin topped with ghee (I had to try it ok?)

2 comments:

  1. Great recipes! Can't wait to try the muffins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they were great! make sure to refrigerate any leftovers! Mine went bad :(

      Delete